Tuesday, February 18, 2014

A Love Story, the Driving Part

I’m posting this story partly because I like it, and partly because now it will be easy to find if I want to refer to the driving tips.  In this USA Today story, Michael Gartner describes his parents’ relationship, particularly how they drove their car.
 After he retired, my father [who didn’t drive] almost always accompanied my mother whenever she drove anywhere, even if he had no reason to go along….As I said, he was always the navigator, and once, when he was 95 and she was 88 and still driving, he said to me, "Do you want to know the secret of a long life?" "I guess so," I said, knowing it probably would be something bizarre.
"No left turns," he said.

"What?" I asked.


"No left turns," he repeated. "Several years ago, your mother and I read an article that said most accidents that old people are in happen when they turn left in front of oncoming traffic. As you get older, your eyesight worsens, and you can lose your depth perception, it said. So your mother and I decided never again to make a left turn."

"What?" I said again. "No left turns," he said. "Think about it. Three rights are the same as a left, and that's a lot safer. So we always make three rights."

"You're kidding!" I said, and I turned to my mother for support. "No," she said, "your father is right. We make three rights. It works."

But then she added: "Except when your father loses count."…
My mother was never in an accident, but one evening she handed me her car keys and said she had decided to quit driving. That was in 1999, when she was 90. She lived four more years, until 2003. My father died the next year, at 102. 

No comments: