Tuesday, April 07, 2015

A Shower of Ions



The 10,000-years old Niagara Falls are the dramatic result of the Niagara River encountering a 188 food drop in height as the Great Lakes race along the river on their way to the ocean.  I spent last weekend in Niagara Falls, Canada, in a pleasant state of awe.  Some say that ions are created by so much falling water, ions that cause happy feelings (and therefore a good honeymoon location).  I have no idea if that corresponds with science, but that amazing rush of water roaring over a cliff did make me happy.
A short distance from the falls is a street of tacky tourist places.  It’s a disquieting juxtaposition.  And often, when I enjoy nature, it is in an atmosphere of quiet.  Not Niagara Falls.  Along the fence separating tourists from the Niagara River and Falls are crowds of tourists speaking a plethora of languages, something I found heartwarming.


One afternoon we had dessert in a restaurant overlooking the falls.  I asked the waitress how long she had worked there:  “Eight years.  I’m one of the new servers.”  She went on to say, “The falls looks different every day.”  It seems to me one of the best waitress jobs in the world though I am content to carry it home as a sweet memory of planet earth.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have visited the falls several times. They are always awesome! I love to go there.