Saturday, July 04, 2015

Awe, Literally


In 1932 and 33 Diego Rivera painted a series of 27 frescos in an inner court of the Detroit Institute of Arts.  I saw them yesterday and fell in love with the museum and Rivera.  I went because of a show of Rivera’s paintings, preliminary sketches for the murals, and paintings by his wife Frida Kahlo.  I’m sorry I waited so long to visit this museum.  It contains so many wonderful paintings and objects, and the Rivera Courtyard has been there all along. 

Usually, when I visit a museum, it is part of a longer visit to a city.  However, this visit to Detroit was just to see the DIA. I felt like I should see everything which was, of course, impossible.  And how does one describe such an experience? Last week, I quoted Pico Iyer’s comments about travel.  Maybe those words apply here as well:   

We travel, initially, to lose ourselves; and we travel, next, to find ourselves. We travel to open our hearts and eyes and learn more about the world…And we travel, in essence, to become young fools again — to slow time down and get taken in, and fall in love once more.
 A couple more samples below... 


 


No comments: