Thursday, May 08, 2014

The Past Is Not the Past



Lately, I have felt as if I live in two centuries, the 19th and the 21st.  I’ve been writing a short narrative about the Catholic community where I grew up.  The gathering point was a white country church, much like the country church stereotypes.  I was baptized there and made my first communion there too.  I remember a brick building across the road that, before I was born, had been a one-room schoolhouse. The general store and post office were gone before my birth.  There is nothing left on that country corner now but a cemetery.

As I have looked at pictures and researched the history, I have felt at times like I’m part of that community that built the church in 1888.  There is a certain wonder about the past and how it constructs our present.  In the last 300 years, that space was (1) barely settled farm land, (2) a community of Irish immigrants farming the land, (3) and now, a community with a large population of Amish farmers and craftsmen and not enough Catholics to maintain the church.  Last week, when I was visiting there, I felt a part of it all.

 

No comments: