Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Meeting Points



We never agree with others about everything.  So, sometimes joy come from finding a friend who shares our point of view; other times I think there is another kind of joy that grows from sharing differences.  The other day, I received a call from a person with whom I have great differences.  It did not bring me joy.  Instead his opinions made me quite angry, disgusted even.  But something else made me wonder if a door was opening that I didn’t want to walk through.  I was sure it didn’t involve agreeing with him, but what would I have to change to be comfortable with his views?  What is the healthy way to respond to negativity?  What is the loving way?  Does negativity usually come from pain?

Maya Angelou believed that “a negative statement is poison.” She would put people out of her house for being negative about herself or others—for telling a racist joke for example.  I’m not sure that’s how I want to handle it. Is it possible to respond to negativity without your own hurt and negativity getting in the way?

I'll let the question incubate.  Meanwhile, I’m not sure the Venn diagrams below speak to this question, but I like them and sometimes think about how a certain relationship can be illustrated this way.

 (Venn diagram courtesy of Ox Herding)

2 comments:

Elaine Jarvis said...

Sometimes it "helps" me (startles me into a different kind of awareness?) to think of the other, particularly if it is someone I have a hard time tolerating, as beloved by the Divine. What usually happens to me if I allow that thought, is that my mind immediately shifts to consider ways others might have a hard time with me, yet God loves and forgives me. It is good for shifting things. You know the jokes and quotes about being surprised who is in heaven? Those thoughts also have a similar effect on me. For example, I might imagine the great rejoicing in heaven when Hitler arrives because it proves how incredible the forgiveness and transforming power of God is, that he can cover Hitler's sins and make him able to stand in God's presence. I don't mean to be preaching or anything. These are just the thoughts which came to me in response to your post.

MAL said...

EJ, Thanks for adding. It's a good perspective, and I appreciate it. MA