Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Los Pajaros/The Birds




Watching birds along the way has been an added pleasure though often, I don´t know what bird I´m looking at. Some of these birds seem to sing in English and other in Spanish. Storks, for me, are the most dramatic of the Spanish birds I´ve seen, though I haven´t seen one for a few days. My book says they migrate here from Africa to raise their young. That sounds kind of exotic to me, and when they fly, they are strikingly beautiful.
There is another strinking bird that I am told is a magpie. I don´t think I have ever seen one in the U.S. For awhile I was calling it a padre bird because it is black and white, but now I know better. Also, we see many swallows. I am not used to seeing them in town.
I have not seen a cuckoo, but I have heard them often. There is no mistaking their call; they sound just like a cuckoo clock. They always sound like they are a distance away, and I am told it is rare to see one.


No comments: