Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Belief Is the Enemy of Faith

From the magazine UUWorld: 
The good news is that people, at least in the developed world, are rejecting cultural and religious exceptionalism. By religious exceptionalism I mean the conviction that my religion possesses the truth and, by extension, yours is false. When I grew up I was taught that religion was about what we believed. What made my denomination different (and correct, of course) was our sound doctrine. We were right. This made religion too much about being right, about us and them. Too much attention then goes into defending our beliefs.

I am now convinced that “belief,” in the way we usually use the word, is actually the enemy of faith, religion, and spirituality…. When we dwell on beliefs we ask all the wrong questions. My faith is much more about what I love than about what I think.


No comments: