Thursday, September 19, 2013

Hello

It was my first morning in Edinburgh.  I was standing on the balcony outside our rooms when I saw an official looking building flying three flags: the UK flag, the Scotland flag, and…and…a white flag with black letters spelling “Hello.”

It got my attention, but I had no idea how such a strange grouping of flags came about.  During our stay in Edinburgh, I continued to see the Hello-flag flying atop buildings.  It was an enjoyable curiosity.

Today, back in the U.S., I Googled it and discovered it was to welcome visitors to the annual arts festival.  The flag was the idea of Peter Liversidge who specializes in performance art. There was something cute as well as goofy about that flag. It was an incongruous and sweet welcome to my first full day in Scotland and a light-hearted memory to store with the incredible dramatic scenery of the Scottish countryside.

No comments: