Wednesday, February 03, 2016

Just This

Last week I posted that I was leaving for a silent meditation retreat. I got home Sunday afternoon. I wanted to say something about those days but fount it difficult. Meditation doesn't lend itself to words, and it is, after all, very personal. I decided I would like to briefly share three ideas that I found moving and helpful.
  • Listen to the silence. The silence from which all sound arises. The silence of the night sky. The silence of the room, the floor, the ceiling. The silence of the universe. My own silence.
  • Just this. That's all, just this. This tea. This chore. This conversation. This step. This moment—just this.
This retreat took place in a lovely area, and I was aware of how much the beauty of nature makes mindfulness easier for me. (Right now, back home, a woodpecker is eating suet from a bird feeder about eight feet from where I sit.) Surprisingly, I was quite moved by the beauty of leafless trees and bushes. These are just some of the insights I will try to carry with me as I step forward.







No comments: