Friday, February 05, 2016

White Privelige, Part Three


Debby Irving, in her book Waking Up White , introduces readers to Peggy McIntosh who has compiled a list of ways she enjoys certain privileges because of being white. McIntosh says, “I have chosen those conditions which I think in my case attach somewhat more to skin-color privilege than to class, religion, ethnic status, or geographic location, though of course all these other factors are intricately intertwined.” Some samples from her list are below. More can be found here.
  • I can if I wish arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the time...
  • If I should need to move, I can be pretty sure of renting or purchasing housing in an area which I can afford and in which I would want to live...
  • I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that I will not be followed or harassed...
  • I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented....
  • When I am told about our national heritage or about “civilization,” I am shown that people of my color made it what it is...
  • Whether I use checks, credit cards or cash, I can count on my skin color not to work against the appearance of financial reliability...
  • I can swear, or dress in second-hand clothes, or not answer letters, without having people attribute these choices to the bad morals, the poverty, or the illiteracy of my race....
  • I can do well in a challenging situation without being called a credit to my race....

No comments: