Saturday, April 28, 2007

Pamplona


I am here. This is the old gate into Pamplona and it is quite a sight. I walked 22k today and yesterday. It´s a surprise to the system, but I´m doing pretty well. Yesterday was very mistly, sometimes rainy. It was very beautiful but some of the paths were muddy. I walked half the day yesterday with a woman from England and we have had fun together. We are both sitting in a cyber cafe right now. Last night she and I had dinner with a young man from Finland who spoke wonderful English but is full of anti-American attitudes which of course he has no more.
John and Mary gave me the book The Places in Between by Rory Steward, a Scot who did a very long walk in Afghanistan. He makes my little walk seems like a piece of cake. He walked through snow and cold in January. But it was fun to read it on the plane as preparation. I left SB at 8 AM Sunday and spent 29 hours as a parcel but I was reading about being a walker. I asked John if I could tear the pages out of the book after I read them because I don´t want to carry them. I´ve been doing that and it feels very wicked but also nice. "I´m through with that" I say to myself and rip it out.

No comments: