Saturday, April 28, 2007

This Site Now a Travel-Blog

Rebecca Solnit has written a book with the odd subtitle A History of Walking. She says we depend so much on our cars that “In a sense the car has become a prosthetic…” She also says, with so many conveyances available, we often are carried through space like parcels.

Tomorrow, I am going to be carried to Spain like a parcel. Then I will try to balance that extreme passivity by walking everyday. This short quotation from Solnit is the beginning of this site becoming a little space for me to record my travels instead of my reading. Tomorrow I will fly to Madrid. From Madrid I will take a bus to Roncesvalles which is just a few miles from the border of France. Then, mostly, I will walk to Santiago which is just a few miles from the Atlantic Ocean. Today I’m feeling like this was a silly thing today. I assume I will change my mind soon. The path I will follow is the Camino de Santiago.

No comments: