Tuesday, January 06, 2015

Being a Fanatic



I received this email message today from Americans for Responsible Solutions (an organization founded by Gabby Giffords and Mark Kelley)When Heidi Heitkamp cast her vote against background checks in the months after Sandy Hook, she said one of the deciding factors was the number of calls received in her office.

"I think I always had a reputation as somebody who will listen, somebody who is pretty independent-minded but also believes that at the end of the day, you got to listen to your constituents. In this office, the calls literally were before the last day at least 7 to 1 against that bill." - Heidi Heitkamp

I don’t believe all those extra calls were because that’s the proportion of people who oppose background checks.  I think it is the fanatics versus the somewhat interested.

No comments: